Who are we?
We are the single unitary council responsible for providing a range of public services to residents and businesses in the areas of Corby, East Northamptonshire, Kettering and Wellingborough. We serve a population of approximately 360,000.
We were formed in April 2021, replacing Corby Borough Council, East Northamptonshire Council, Kettering Borough Council, the Borough Council of Wellingborough and parts of Northamptonshire County Council and we now deliver the services which were previously provided by these councils.
Those services include:
- Collecting household waste
- Maintaining parks and open spaces
- Street cleaning
- Environmental health
- Planning services
- Adult Social Care
Through one council, we are transforming these services for the better and delivering them in a joined-up and cost-effective way.
Our vision for North Northamptonshire is: A place where everyone has the best opportunities and quality of life.
For more information please visit https://www.northnorthants.gov.uk/corporate-plan/corporate-plan-introduction
May 2021 saw the first elections to North Northamptonshire Council, with 78 new councillors being elected across 26 electoral wards. The next set of scheduled local government elections will be held in May 2025.
The current political composition of the council is:
- Conservative: 58
- Labour: 14
- Green Alliance : 5 (comprising 3 Green, 1 Liberal Democrat & 1 Independent)
- Independent : 1
The Leader of the Council is Councillor Jason Smithers: https://northnorthants.moderngov.co.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=315
Our values and behaviours
At North Northamptonshire Council, we felt it was vitally important that our staff had the opportunity to help shape the organisation’s values, as well as ask the public and stakeholders for their feedback.
A staff focus group and survey was carried out. The survey received over 800 responses and staff identified a clear set of values which they felt were most important for the new Council.
The opportunity for staff to participate in the development of the Council’s future values was seen as an essential first step. North Northamptonshire Council’s values, as chosen by its staff, state that the Council and its staff will be:
North Northamptonshire has a wealth of rich heritage, diverse culture and wonderful places to explore, and they are all within easy reach.
- www.LoveCorby.co.uk – read about everything great in Corby and the surrounding area. Whether looking to dine out, explore, entertain the family
- www.NeneValley.net – read about the rich heritage, diverse culture and wonderful entertainment covering the East Northants and Wellingborough area
Budget Highlights 2023/24
The budget that has been set by the council will deliver an investment in local public services and communities including:
- Investing £57m to protect and improve local services
- Improving local schools, town centres, transport and rural neighbourhoods
- Tackling climate change, continuing the use of a dedicated £1m fund for this purpose
- Investing in adult social care and the care and support for children and families
- Helping those on low income by maintaining the Local Council Tax Support Scheme at 25%
- Continuing to support and develop the local economy, housing, education and skills development
- Providing grants to local community and voluntary organisations
For more information please visit https://www.northnorthants.gov.uk/finance/budget-202324